Tuesday, February 21, 2012

another quilt....

I started another quilt last week.  actually, i started 3 quilts last week.  it was a busy week to say the least. my friend lisa came back to michigan from her new home in minnesota and spent a few days with me sewing and painting.  she brought a bathroom cabinet over for me to show her how to paint and fix up.  more on that later.  
i have been making a few vintage sheet quilts and i decided that i wanted to try something more modern and clean looking.  i decided that i wanted to try a circle quilt after seeing tons of them on pinterest.
it's totally sensory overload there and i was inspired to try my hand on one for myself. 
in a nutshell, i zig-zagged some circles onto some gray squares.  

so this heap of fabric was cut into circles.
because i am so incredibly lazy ingenious, i pinned eight layers of fabric together, placed a cereal bowl on the top layer and traced a circle. 


i cut them out all at once.  
and because i am so lazy ingenious,  i only screwed up a few of the circles...(that'll teach me).
then, i pinned the circles to the squares and laid them out to see how i wanted the placement to be.

after determining that, i sewed the circles to the each square.  
i got a little decorative with some stitching because i thought it would be too boring if i didn't.  
(it really wouldn't have been)
i only did this on about 7 of the circles.
 it does look cool, though...
 i used white fabric between the vertical rows of squares...which i didn't take a picture of.  
 lisa had a great old sheet in her stash that i thought would be awesome for the backing and she was generous enough to let me wrestle it away from her.  
right now i am hand stitching the binding on and will share a picture of the completed quilt when that is finished in the next day or so. 

we (lisa, my daughter shannon and i) decided that we would make quilts for the local cancer center.  it is the same center that don went to when he had his chemotherapy 7 years ago for colon cancer.  he told me that when he would get chemo, he was always cold.  i thought that with all of the vintage sheets that i have  i would make lap quilts for the patients. 
i started two of them last week too...
 a pretty flannel quilt 
 and a patchwork quilt using some of the vintage sheets...
 i asked lisa and shannon to help out and we are in the process right now of matching and cutting more fabric and bagging it up in sets to start making "quilts for chemo"....
more updates soon!!!

8 comments:

Meg from Megs A Mommy! said...

I love the Quilts for Chemo! =)

Musings Of A Gem said...

You are on a role with all your quilts! You'll have to tell me which one has been your favourite?

I love your idea on quilts for chemo...so nice!!

Can't wait to see how the circle one finishes up : )

Gemma x

Unknown said...

You are so so amazing!! I can't even sew on a button! I love the fabrics you have chosen for your quilts. What a great job..xo J

Elisabeth said...

I love what you're doing. You really get things done!

Unknown said...

LOL,....seriously, I can't even sew buttons. Case in point, recently my hubby lost a work shirt button. I sat there for 10 mins and sew'd on that button. When he put on the shirt and went to button it, the button fell in his hand. He had to re-sew it on himself. LOL..J

Cecily Holm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cecily Holm said...

I just wanted to say how awesome this is that you are doing this. I just found out a week after I turned 30 I had a double mastectomy and just started chemo. I have two little ones so this summer will be a challange. But I hope to use all of this for the good of God and find a nich like you to help people feel loved during these hard times!!! This is so great!

Lisa said...

My mom got me into sewing quilts and now I am addicted.

Related Posts with Thumbnails