Thursday, May 13, 2010

the bathroom.....

i hate bathrooms....i have to be just about dying to use a public bathroom, and even then i get totally skeeved out by the germs.  i don't touch anything in a public bathroom.  i've learned how to use my feet and elbows and forearms to open, flush, and wash.

but i do love my powder room in my own house.  this is the one room in the house that has seen the most change over the ten years we have been here.  it has been decorated and painted five times.  my brother-in-law swears that we have lost square footage in that room because of all of the coats of paint.  what can i say, i'm fickle.

turquoise...
it's my new favorite color.  and the one that is going to be the punch of accent color 
in most of our main living areas.  soon.

starting with this room...my bathroom.

i used to scrapbook.  i had have lots and lots of scrapbooking supplies laying around packed away in the basement.  i feel a little guilty about that.  that stuff wasn't cheap.  
so i found a new use for some of the supplies.
see the butterflies in the frame below?  those are scrapbooking embellishments.  i glued 'em to a piece of scrapbook paper and stuck 'em in a shadowbox frame that i had stored away in a closet. 
free art...and free is good right now.
the paper in the frames above?  scrapbook paper and more frames that i had laying around.
more free art and free is good!!
that beautiful white cabinet?  free, from my next door neighbor.  
well, i traded a birdcage for it.
so still, kind of free.  
this guy?  my naked david.  years ago, i worked for a facial plastic surgeon who loved to travel.  he always brought us something back from his excursions.  he was going to italy one year and i kept telling him (kiddingly) that all i wanted was a naked david statue.  he heard this for weeks before he left. 
the day he flew back to the u.s. he had a heart attack and had to be taken to the 
hospital from the airport.  it was a very mild heart attack and he was actually able to call
the office from the hospital.  we were really worried about him.
he was more worried about me not getting my 
naked david.  
his girlfriend brought it to work that afternoon...

so he sits on the shelf in my free cabinet
modestly covered 
because we are chaste, demure and proper (heh
in my made over 
smaller square footage 
practically decorated for free 
turquoise 
and gray bathroom...
because free is good right now!

3 comments:

Kat said...

I getcha on the public bathroom, but since I believe my bladder is the size of a walnut I spend to much time in um.. I love the color and accents. Your naked David is VERY modest. That was super sweet of your boss to bring him back and worry!

Cecelia---Sis---Mom said...

I am an avoider of public bathrooms also. When we bought this house I told everyone the laundry half a bath was MINE. (I live with three guys, haha) What a great way to use up the scrapbook paper, I seem to be hoarding and not using lately.

Love the story of your naked David and the way you made him a modest man. Such a great boss.

Sissy

Musings Of A Gem said...

I AVOID public toilets like the plague!! And if I ever touch anything it is with my elbows and leg etc haha!

I love the decor of yours : ) Very good idea with the scrap paper :D

Gemma X http://musings-of-a-gem.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails